11.8.10

whats going on..

A lot has happened since I last updated my BJJ blog. Its been an eventful 8 months and my love affair with BJJ is still going strong!
1. We finally have a girl in our gym!
After a year and a half of training, God decided to send us a tough, pint sized, 17 year old "angel". The best part is that she loves BJJ as much as I do and is willing to train whenever, wherever! Though still a newbie, she already has become a force to be reckoned with. She is stronger than some of the guys in our gym (sorry, guys) and it seems that BJJ is a sport that comes naturally to her. We've already named her "the beast" and "the prodigy", so you can just imagine what she's like!

2. I finally competed!
I joined my first major tournament in May, losing both in my weight division and absolute. Instead of dwelling on my losses and quitting, I decided to work on what went wrong (with the help of my loving instructor/boyfriend). Since then, I have learned how to master breaking the closed guard and escaping from the triangle choke. Also how to hold my breath longer.. haha! 

3. I got promoted!
Just last month, our black belt made a visit to our gym to do promotions. As usual, he made us spar in order to gauge whether we deserved a promotion or not. When it was my turn, I found out that I would be going against a guy who I had yet to beat. I don't really know what happened, but I remember that at one point, I had his leg and I didn't let go for what seemed like ages.I could hear Carlo screaming and hooting in the background, which gave me strength (haha) so I swept, mounted and then ended up armbarring him. I surprised even myself. After that, I had to go against someone almost twice my size, ordered to tap me out in 20 secs. He didn't and I was so happy. In the end, when Alvin, our blackbelt, asked me to finish out my stripes, I almost cried (again) from sheer joy and all the emotions that were built up inside me. Luckily, I didn't even shed a tear. 

4. Competing again! 
I'm going to try and compete again this September. Hopefully it will go better than my first tournament. I'm so grateful to have such great instructors/friends who are willing to answer all my questions and teach me stuff that I supposedly already know to cover all bases. Thanks guys! 

5. Long distance :( 
Carlo finally moved to Singapore (only for a year and a half) for his MBA and it sucks. But I know that this will only strengthen our relationship and ultimately, make us stronger people. I don't think I've ever been this excited to talk to someone on skype, or felt this anxious because someone hasn't texted.. but when I see that red flashing light, I have the biggest, cheesiest smile on my face and everyone knows why :) Here's to more adventures in love and BJJ! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment