23.8.10

Preventive Maintenance

"WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO YOU?!"
When I started jiujitsu, my girlfriends would always gasp and point at my bruises in disgust. They've gotten used to it, but that doesn't mean that they think its ok. They shriek when they hear about my matburns and cringe when I talk about cauliflower ear.
Jiujitsu is not a pretty sport, and I think it takes a certain kind of girl to be OK with all these... atrocities. So here are a few things I do to keep the ugly side of jiujitsu at bay:

1. TAPE
 Mueller/LPL tape is a godsend for your fingers. I like to tape my fingers right below the nail, to protect them from getting calloused and dark from grips.
 The best way to do it is to cut the tape into small, long strips.  This provides more mobility for the fingers.
 Just wrap it around your finger, like so.  I usually wrap three fingers, although it looks like I need to start wrapping my pinkie as well.
 2.  ARNICA
 I use Arnica ointment on all my bruises. Its most effective when applied immediately after training. 
 3. KNEE PADS
 I used to wear knee pads all the time, but I've gotten lazy since they hurt the backs of my knees. I'll try to look into a different brand next time. 

4. MOUTHGUARD
Mouthguards protect your teeth and gums from impact injuries. In the event of a serious blow, it could also prevent concussion and reverberation damage. 


 5. DEEP CONDITION!
I shampoo my hair almost everyday because of jiujitsu (as opposed to every other day) . Even if I keep my hair in a ponytail/bun, I still find strands here and there- BJJ is murdering my hair! To keep it healthy and manageable, I only use sulfate free shampoos and conditioners, and make sure I deep condition at least once a week.

 With regards to cleanliness, I always keep a bar of antibacterial soap and facial wash, betadine/neosporin and a bottle of isopropyl alcohol in my gym bag. After training, I make sure I wash all exposed limbs with soap, then put alcohol, then shower. I know it might seem a bit much, but you never know what kind of diseases those mats are harboring. 

What do you do?

1 comment: